The week of October 21st-25th is packed full of positive activities that will bring us closer together as a school community. We will hold a student vote, recognize waste reduction week, and host parent/guardian and teacher interviews and our annual Halloween dance. Please check our calendar of events regularly for more details about sports and field trips.
All week we will draw student attention to waste reduction in Canada with three projects student council will run throughout the year. The first is a marker recycling project. From now until June, students can bring in their old markers and Student Council will send them off to be recycled. During our kick-off this week, period one classes are competing to see who can bring in the most dead markers, so if you have any at home, send them in. Student Council (StuCo) is also drawing attention to reducing single use plastics and improving the use of recycle bins at the school. Students are encouraged to make their lunches plastic-free and StuCo will be awarding prizes this week and throughout the year.
Our Me to We group is hosting We Scare Hunger for the North Perth food bank. Students are asked to bring in non-perishable food items from October 21st to November 7th.
Monday, October 21st – Student Vote
- “Student Vote is an authentic learning program that provides students with the opportunity to experience the voting process firsthand and practice the habits of active and informed citizenship. It helps students understand Canadian politics and elections.” Thank you to Mrs. Kaye for organizing our student vote.
Tuesday, October 22nd
- Assembly: Together We Can Make a Difference
Wednesday, October 23rd – Clothes Swap
- During lunch we will hold a clothes swap encouraging students to reduce textile waste by giving away gently used clothes and ‘trading’ for clothes that are ‘new to you’. Students should bring all clothing donations (clean clothes for ages 14-18 and Halloween costumes) to school on Monday and Tuesday for drop off outside of the cafeteria in the morning and at lunch. Students who donate will get a ticket for early access to the clothes swap on Wednesday. Student Council is organizing this event along with our school thrift shop volunteers from The Community Closet.
Thursday, October 24th
- Photo Retakes
- Parent/guardian and teacher interviews will take place from 4:30-7:00pm. Additional information sessions will run in the collaboration room and the library. These include information on apprenticeships and post secondary applications.
- 5 p.m. – Applying to College
- 6 p.m. – Applying to University
- An information meeting for parents of students travelling to England, Wales, and Scotland on March Break will take place in the library starting at 7:15 pm
Friday, October 25th
- Halloween Dance organized by Student Council. The dance runs from 7 – 10 pm in the small gym.